Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Is it really safe to say what you think?

As a software engineer some may think that I would have a greater love for doing things in an electronic format. To a degree this is true. There is however a caveat to posting things on the internet in something like a blog. Namely your thoughts are no longer just your thoughts.

I know there is a general trend in the internetiverse where privacy is considered a thing of the past. However this introduces some interesting problems. The first problem I see is that the netizens of this space are generally more harsh in their critique of what they see and read than they would be in a more private setting, or at least one where there could be immediate ramifications for their opinions. In short a public or even semi-private blog can lend itself to being an unsafe place to introduce your thoughts.

Such being my opinion I am reluctant to share most of my thoughts publicly. My thoughts are generally very fluid and I am constantly looking for more information to challenge them and support them. However I like to choose the critics of my thoughts from those whose opinions I trust. I like to discuss them in a way that I feel safe in having my opinions grow.

Is a public blog a good space for this type of interaction? I don't think so. A semi-private space? More closely so. But I still think there is nothing like being in the presence of friends to mull over ideas.

No comments: